Army Ten Miler
This weekend we had a very eventful series of events. Sunday was the annual Army Ten Miler race in Washington D.C. Our friends Eric and Chelsea Brumfield came into town for the race. On Saturday afternoon we met up with them and Daniel & Arlah Canchola (all friends from ROTC) for lunch in the city.
That night Dan and I went to the Army Engineers Officer's Wives' Club cocktail party at the Chief of Engineers' house. He lives at "Quarters 9" which has housed the Chief of Engineers for a very long time (over 100 years? I think?). We were definitely the youngest couple there, and there was a lot of history even just in the people that attended. The weather was beautiful, and their house is right on the Potomac River with a view of D.C. It was a fun time meeting all the Generals that Dan works with.
(Traditional post-race self portrait)
Then on Sunday Dan and I ran in the Army Ten Miler race. We didn't start the race together because we had different bib colors but we ended up running about the same time. It was a great run for both of us, and we're definitely going to do it again next year.
(I'd look happier if I hadn't just run 10 miles)
An awesome part of the day was the fact that we met up with a friend of mine who was injured on Aug 11th in Afghanistan. Joe and I were Lieutenants together in 8-1 CAV and he was one of the first from the unit to get injured. He lost both of his legs in an attack, but he is now at Walter Reed and doing very well in recovery. He even participated in the 10-miler riding a hand-bike! He completed it in 56 mins and was in the top 3 of bikers. That's really awesome!! Great job Joe!!!
Dan is in Paris right now and will be in Angers, France for a few more days this week. Look forward to seeing his pictures! :)

I am humbled by your opportunities and abilities. I'm humbled by Joe's attitude and sacrifice. I'm proud of you all!
ReplyDelete