What A Week!
This is Dan again...I know, trust me, I don't plan on making this a habit but everyone wants to hear about my travels so here you go! And it's easier on Holly since I'm not nitpicking her grammar. ;)
After getting home from France on 16 October, I got a whole day off and had to head back out on the road on the 18th. We flew into New Orleans late Sunday night for a conference with plans to go to Wilmington, NC a few days later.
Just in case you've been in a cave for the past 5 years or don't have a clue, as a result Hurricane Katrina the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was given the daunting task to provide a 100-year level risk reduction for southeast Louisiana in 2011 through its Hurricane and Storm Damage Risk Reduction System (HSDRRS). The HSDRRS seeks to upgrade existing flood protection features (such as levees and floodwalls) and introduce new features authorized by Congress and deemed necessary to complete the system.

We had the good fortune of being able to tour one of the key projects that the Corps is working on in order to complete this mission. It's called the Inner Harbor Navigation Canal (IHNC) Surge Barrier (Click Me!). And again, without getting into specifics, we're putting in a big giant wall in some very forgiving (which is not good when you're trying to stabilize a giant concrete wall) marsh. I put the map in here so you can see the scope of it all. Not to confuse anyone but the purple line is the actual barrier itself.
After New Orleans, we flew to Wilmington, NC, rested overnight (for about 4 hours) and then flew in a UH-60 up the entire coast of North Carolina. It was overcast and rainy but because we were flying so low the visibility was still fantastic. We landed at the Corps' Coastal Engineering Research Center in the northern part of the Outer Banks commonly referred to as the Duck Pier. We have a really dedicated team of about 12 or so depending on summer interns, etc. who do nothing but study the coast. We toured their facilities and it was absolutely fascinating. If anyone is ever in that part of the Outer Banks, I highly recommend walking up to the pier and asking for a tour. They'll drop everything they're doing to teach. Below is a picture of my boss and I at the end of the pier. The waves were fantastic that day. The guy standing there with us grew up in California (LA to be exact) but moved to the east coast because he said they had better beaches there! Take that USC!

After Duck, we flew back and it was back in the office for two days of prep work for our next trip overseas. However, before we leave, we had the absolute honor and privilege, albeit a very solemn one, of repatriating 3 fallen heroes from Afghanistan. It's a very solemn and very simple ceremony that occurs any time of day or night, rain or shine and with little to no fanfare. The dignified transfer of remains is one of the least publicized ceremonies in the military (mostly because the press was not allowed to witness it until just recently) and one which I was extremely humbled of which to be a part. I hope you understand why I don't have pictures of it. We were out on the tarmac in the absolute pouring rain and wind till about 2200 last night and could not have been happier to do it...certainly one of the biggest perks of my job. Please pray for our Soldiers and their safety every day so I never have to do it again.
And now...it's off to Jordan!!

Well written, that was a humble privilege to serve those fallen heroes.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you in Jordan. It is interesting to hear of your travels and work. It makes me want to read up about that stuff.
I've been to NC beaches. They are a lot like Oregon. Some people like that better than So Cal beaches, but they are different with different advantages. I'm glad you got to see them. Next time, see if you can get to Kitty Hawk. Well worth the effort.