Update From Half A World Away!
So obviously this is Dan speaking this time. Holly did a great job of updating everyone on her last post so I’ll just add some color commentary and share some more of my photos.
First, I want to quantify some facts for you. This is my fourth deployment since the end of 2002, my second to Afghanistan, and my first as a married man (and father to be). That last key fact automatically makes this the toughest one yet. Luckily, it will also be my shortest.
So I finally have reliable internet that won't block me from viewing and/or updating the blog. I arrived in Kuwait in late April and then flew on a few different aircraft and finally landed in Kabul. The living conditions here are probably the best I've had for all four of my deployments. However, believe it or not, I lament the loss of my cot and tent on most days. The accommodations are nice and I greatly appreciate the fact that I can shower every day since that has rarely been the case for me in the past. I will NEVER ever complain about whether the water is cold either having been stuck with no showers for weeks at a time in most of my previous deployments.
Kabul has changed quite a bit but mostly stayed the same. The best part about my job is the fact that I can actually get outside of Kabul and go see other parts of the country. We travel almost exclusively by air and although most of the pictures of myself are sitting on the helicopters we do travel almost exclusively by fixed wing (plane). I don't want to show you pictures of me on the airplanes because then you won't so bad for me that I'm in Afghanistan. :)
We've been to every major base in the south, north, east, and west and I can tell you for certain that this country is just as diverse as any in the world including our own with exception of our coasts. I've flown over mountains that echo the Rockies and have seen valleys so green you'd think you're in wine country of California.
The days here are long but that was to be expected but because of that I find myself often physically drained on a constant basis. Lucky for me, I work in an environment that allows me to sleep in late twice a week. This is not the case for most but it is for me so I refuse to feel guilty about sleeping in…mostly because I’m asleep! We get out of the city about 2-3 days a week which is actually really good because those trips really help to pass the time quicker but it also means that I’m constantly moving and constantly working to coordinate the next trip even as I’m executing the current trip. This is not unlike the conduct of my job back home but a little different given the fact that we travel a little differently when we’re in DC.
Here are some pictures from my many adventures so far! Enjoy!

Welcome To Pakistan!
This is a few of the border from the Aghan side.

This is picture of me in front of Friendship Gate on the border of Pakistan.

Here is a Stryker vehicle rollin' through the desert.
I threw this one in there because it's unique to see these three aircraft all on the same airfield.

This is the Arghandab Valley...green as can be.

Another view of the valley outside of Kandahar.
Hope you enjoyed the photos!
No comments:
Post a Comment